The pastor preached on Galatians 5:1-26, mainly focusing on verses 13-15. He summarized verses 1-12 for us, preached on 13-15, and mildly focused on 16-25.
This time the Pastor didn’t have any “points” in the sermon that he brought out, but I picked out three main things (I suppose you could call them points) that he preached on.
1. General summary of verses 1-12 (which I can’t remember at the moment).
2. Don’t use your freedom in Christ to, “indulge the flesh”. the example he used of this was of music, and how we shouldn’t let what our flesh wants to hear, overcome worship of God… He made it clear he wasn’t saying that we can only ever listen to one type of music, etc, it’s just that we shouldn’t let music we listen to, distract us from our worship of God. That can mean several different things for different people, but he didn’t go into that. – Vs. 13-14
3. Don’t, “bite and devour each other”. He used the example of a church splitting over what color carpet the church should have… “And if you won’t let me have my way, well, I’ll just leave and take all my friends with me!” (probably not the exact words he used, but I think I’m fairly close). – Vs. 15
4. Walk in the Spirit. Which basically means not doing what the flesh wants to do, and instead do what is contrary to it, which means doing what the Spirit wants to do… Not as easy as it sounds, and in fact the only way we can do it, is by the Spirit’s power! – Vs. 16-18
5. General summary of verses 19-26 (which I can’t remember very well at the moment).
13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh[a]; rather, serve one another humbly in love. 14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”[b]15 If you bite and devour each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.
16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever[c] you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. (Galatians 5:13-18)
You are Loved!